Ignorance
is Bliss, but Knowledge Matters (Race, Media)
When people are unaware
of some facts, it is usually tolerable to let it slide when their act was a
mistake of ignorance. Those mistakes can sometimes be little, or grave, but
often offensive when it comes to race. I remember to be strike in shock by the
diversity that exist in the United States when I first came here. It was
amazing for Hispanics, Africans, Caucasian, and Asians to leave peaceful all in
the same community, but maybe I should not have been so much in shock because
this is why it is called the land of opportunities.
However who says
diversity, must speak of advantages, and disadvantages too. I have come to also
be aware of the real problem of segregation between minority and majority
groups. A middle class, and upper class differentiation of classes. The fact
that one race fits in more than another one, depending if you are Caucasian or
Black, or if you are part of the minority
group, but is lucky enough and to live among people of your kind; then there
are chances of fitting in, and solidarity among those that identifies as the same
as you.
In the same light, I have
come to realize that there are other categories that individual can be placed
in in the United States. It could be one that defines a person as a U.S
citizen, a permanent resident, a business visa holder, a diplomate, a student,
which I am, or an illegal immigrant, some of the last two categories referred
to sometimes as alien. Really? From which space?? As time goes by I came to
realize how this so called melting pot comes with a rainbow of serious
divergence. The direction I’m leading to is the level of negligence American could
be when it comes to ethnicity, cultural, and geography differences. It might
not be a big deal, but it is offensive for some people if everyone decides to
throw them all in one category.
It is fair to denounce
this act as a lack of education, close mindedness, but until I had to experience
a similar shock, it has never crossed my mind that such small classification
was a serious hasty generalization. The matter I’m addressing is the fact that
in the U.S (we may all be guilty of this at one point) people tend to refer to
all Central or South American as Hispanics, or Latino.
Latino and Hispanic are
not interchangeable. Latino is a term that is telling you about geography,
whereas Hispanic is a term that is telling you about Language. Latino means those
people that descend front Latin America including the Caribbean. Hispanic means
a group of country or people whose primary language is Spanish.
Central America has
countries such as Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador just to name the most popular,
and South America is compose of countries such as Argentina, Brazil, Colombia,
Uruguay, just to name a few. It is important to note that some of these
countries do not even speak Spanish; some of them speak Portuguese, or other
dialect. This is offensive of many people that identify as a specific group
instead of referring to them as Spanish. “I feel like knocking the sense right
into people with a fist punch when they assume that I’m Spanish, or call me
plain Hey Amigo.” Confessed Felix Garcia, my former classmate.
Terry Blas, a writer/cartoonist
wrote numbers of series about the confusion people make by referring to all
tanned skin, fair hair texture individuals as Spanish or Latino, or Hispanic,
while among Spanish speaker there is a variety of dialects. His writings depict
perfectly how to correct people, and recognize how easily people can fall into
this hasty generalization.
Blas says that “The views expressed in this
comic are mine and come from an American perspective. While I'm Latino and
Hispanic, I'm American as well and my experiences in respect to my ancestry and
culture have been seen through that lens."
One of the main reason
why I find the offensive, and is careful to not fall in the same ignorance act
is when people would assume that Africa is a country too. This statement, which
is a complete shock for me to know that some American do believe that African,
who belong to the second biggest continent of the world with 54 countries in
totals, and an estimated 1500-2000 languages according to Nations Online, all
speak the same language. http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/african_languages.htm. Consequently, ignorance might be bliss, but in a world
of globalization, and full of information, it is precious that people gets
their facts right by informing themselves, and stop certain madness such as
fixing a salad full of ingredients of ignorance. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/big-data-future-knowledge-internet-age/
http://www.latinone.com/articles/22204/20150820/latino-vs-hispanic-cartoonist-terry-blas-explains-difference-in-mini-comic.htm
http://www.latinone.com/articles/22204/20150820/latino-vs-hispanic-cartoonist-terry-blas-explains-difference-in-mini-comic.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment